Minishift on HyperV

Although I would not consider myself as a heavy user of Windows, I believe I need to try to meet the challenge of supporting those running Linux, MacOS, and Windows.
I recently ran into an issue running Minishift on Windows 10 and Hyper-V.  I suspect regular users of both of these technologies might already be aware of what tripped me up but I thought I would document it here just in case someone needs it.  In case you're not aware of it, Minishift is a very nice project that allows a developer to easily run OpenShift, also known as OCP or OpenShift Container Platform, on a desktop computer.
Overall, I had a nice experience installing Minishift on a Windows 10 computer running HyperV but once I stopped and restarted Minishift, and had a new ip address address assigned to the VM, the instance would no longer start.  
Now if you're doing any Docker development on your computer and you move around a good bit or perhaps you're on and off a VPN, you probably know that virtualization and containerization does not always take too kindly to changing ip addresses and subnets.  Certainly, deleting and reinstalling is an option but that can be very costly depending on what's going on with your project.
I may have missed it in the Minishift setup guide, but I used the default setting of "dynamic" for the MAC address on the VM.  

I think the MAC address changed (I have read that HyperV does this if it believes it's necessary although I did not find what events might cause such a belief) and therefore I would assume that the DHCP server issued a new ip address and possibly caused my issue.
Unfortunately it's speculation on my part at this time but I have changed the configuration to use a static MAC address for the minishift HyperV VM.  I will try to update this entry should I learn more.

In the meantime, happy computing,
Carl

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ClassCastException: JAXB

Parallel to Lincoln's angry letters never sent concept...