Opening OpenShift

Docker has occupied a good bit of my free time in recent months.  In addition to Docker and related technology, all things cloud seem to have really exploded in a great way.

On all things cloud, I highly recommend The Cloudcast podcast.  In case you are not aware, this is well produced, first-class production about cloud computing.  So far it seems to be a very well balanced technology mix and it has also reminded me of how competitors in the technology space can learn from and respect one another...when they try.

Lately, OpenShift has, once again, been very much a part of my daily efforts.  Certainly I have used and been impressed with the prior release, but V3 and the move to Docker and Kubernetes under the hood was, in my opinion, an excellent move.  I am working with others on a couple of different OpenShift Enterprise (OSE) installations but the hacker in me learns better when I play with the latest open source bits, as time permits.

If you head over to OpenShift.org it does not take a long to realize there's lots there and doing an installation on your own does not have a bad learning curve, especially given the number of installation options there are.  There is one, however, that I would like to recommend if you want to get up and running quickly on your own development machine, which I am guessing is substantial if doing so is of interest.

Red Hatters Steve Pousty and Brenton Leanhardt co-created the All-in-one Virtual Machine version which you can find here.  If you're not familiar with Vagrant and/or VirtualBox, you'll still do fine with this setup given the nice instructions which are provided.

Work through the examples and you will get an excellent glimpse of OpenShift.  If you're inclined to dig a bit deeper, I suggest SSHing into the VM.  I am no Vagrant expert but if you type "vagrant ssh" (while in the directory from which you completed the installation), you will get to a prompt.  Next, I suggest a "sudo su -" to become root.

A "history" provides a bit of insight into what was involved with the installation.  You might find one or more commands which you'll want to learn more about via the docs.  Of interest to me was the README.md file found here: /data/src/github.com/openshift/origin/examples/sample-app.  It's not that you can't find the same file here on Github, but it was more about learning just what's in this installation (after you have seen it work).  When I first approached this effort, I assumed it was from the Vagrant-OpenShift project but I was corrected and so I decided to dig a bit deeper to learn a bit more about my own similar installation efforts.

Cloud technologies are moving fast right now and if you like the ride, that's a very good thing.

Happy hacking,
Carl


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ClassCastException: JAXB

Minishift on HyperV

Parallel to Lincoln's angry letters never sent concept...