Skype'ing

I have certainly known about Skype for a while now but frankly have not had the need to even try it. Last weekend I configured a cable modem in a house in a relatively remote area. We don't have a land line phone in this house and had not planned to install one. Our cell phone coverage is however a little spotty. Since the high speed connection is there I thought I would give VoIP a try.

I have been very impressed. For those of us who are in the U.S., for $15/year you can get unlimited calls to anyone in the U.S. and Canada. That service is called SkypeOut. If you need an inbound number, you can get SkypeIn for about $30/year. The audio quality is very good. I don't know if that's because Skype is a proprietary protocol (as advertised) or if it's par for VoIP now. But I can say it's a lot cheaper than others I found if there's any significant use.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ClassCastException: JAXB

Minishift on HyperV

Parallel to Lincoln's angry letters never sent concept...